Thursday, February 27, 2014

Winning Friends, Influencing People

This week has been characterized by a weird running schedule, mostly induced by the fact that I have developed a loathing for the treadmill.  This inspired me to take advantage of Monday's nice weather, subbing a zero day for the beginning of my weekly training cycle.

New 10K record on Monday!  Okay, I guess those cutback weeks work, because I always feel so awesome the week afterward.  It was chillier than it looked because the wind picked up and was COLD.  Still, I kicked some serious butt, and when it looked like I could beat the old record, I tacked on a bit extra to hit the 10K mark.  Not the short run I had planned for my zero day, but still awesome!

Tuesday found me on the treadmill as I had expected.  I ran intervals to keep it interesting, and a warped .2 fast, .3 slow, .3 fast, .2 slow pattern made the time fly by.  Another 6.8 miles down and I was HAPPY afterward.  Running really does make bad days better.

So, Monday and Tuesday laid the foundation for Wednesday's run.  It was nice outside, with long pants and my new long sleeve technical shirt I felt great.  More suprisingly, my legs felt good.  I went with it, and crushed some more mileage...8.5 to be exact.  At the outset I wasn't sure I could handle it, but it just kind of worked.  I like it when that happens.

On the way back from my run (I love out and backs for medium length runs), I pass over a couple of bridges.  I think one of them hates me.  It's the same bridge that I tripped on during my long run a couple of weekends ago.  I tripped on it again....in the exact same spot...with the exact same foot.  Only this time, I rolled my ankle enough to actually fall.  I also dropped an F-Bomb with the raucous enthusiasm that is only made possible by the sincerest of frustration coupled with headphones blaring far to loudly.  I also might have been just about to pass a couple who was out on a cute, hand holding walk.  I might have shouted said profanity within less than 24 inches of the fine couple's ears.  I went down, clutching my ankle, apologizing profusely and (with headphones still blaring & breathing hard) trying to simultaneously die of embarrassment and assess for actual damage.  The couple and I each moved on after it was clear that the ankle was going to be okay.    I babied it a bit, but could definitely run on it....the voices in my head (you know, the nice, warm, fuzzy, sympathetic ones), told me to run it off and quit being a wuss.

The run resumed and I was okay.  I have to chuckle....as I ran back under the bridge, a witness to the event, an older gentleman , face chiseled by wind and sun and work and play,  looked at me with a smile on his face, a twinkle in his eye, and a nod.  Yes, I fell down and went boom.  Yes, there was nothing ladylike about my frustration.  But my city cares, it understands that people are messy, and it loves them anyway.

Oh...and I beat the 10K record that I set on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment