Thursday, December 19, 2013

And the horse you rode in on!

Because I not only personify/anthropomorphize running, I also yell at it.  I didn't want to run today.  Were I a 3 year old, I would have lain on the ground, beat my hands on the floor and refused to go.  Unfortunately, I am a bit more than 10 times 3, and such behavior is generally addressed by having the opportunity to hang out with nice large men in white coats who brandish soft words and sharp needles.  So, I did what any "reasonable" person would do---I had a nice little argument with myself within the confines of my own skull and coerced myself to go. 

The arguments against a run were ticking off in my brain at rapid pace as I engaged in my onerous (read, 4 minute walk) home from work-
1. I hadn't had nearly enough to drink today, in fact I was about one Nalgene short of my usual consumption.
2. I binged on chocolate kisses all day and I had a tummy ache.
3. Work sucked--nothing bad happened, but nothing good happened either.
4. The weather which was supposed to be nice was actually windier and colder than I had anticipated....not bad, but not the glory that I had been hoping for.
5. I was just Mr. Cranky Pants all-friggin-day and I really just wanted to sit on my couch in my pajamas watching bad television.

These arguments were crap and I knew it.  I also know that I have just recently gotten back in the proverbial saddle and started running with a training plan again.  I know that "I don't want to" is the first step in letting the whole physical fitness thing go down hill.  So I mentally bribed myself with a "you'll feel better when you are done".  This was complete and utter bull. 

This run sucked.  I hated every stinking moment of the first 4 miles. I stopped 3 times during that time and was tempted to walk away from the treadmill.  I actually walked for about a minute at one point.  The last mile I finished out of sheer spite.  My overall pace time was fine.  Nothing to write home about, but nothing to be terribly ashamed of either. 

I didn't feel better when it was done...I just felt tired...and sweaty...and irritated.  Still, I finished it.  Ultimately, that's all that matters.  And in some ways, I think it is the bad runs that matter.  Anyone can do the perfect run.  It takes dedication to do the suck run.

No comments:

Post a Comment