Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Lazy

Okay, so I got off the training plan today.  I really thought that it was a 5K run day, but it turns out I should have rocked the 3.5M, not 3.1M.  Of course, I didn't realize that until after I had a shower, and I  REALLY, REALLY considered hopping on the treadmill for another 1/2 mile, but just didn't have the motivation...SIGH.  The good news is that yesterday's run was a bit overzealous in the mileage department so I don't technically need to make it up.  The better news is that the weather is supposed to be splendid, so I should get another nice outdoor run in tomorrow.

I'm still trying to figure out what I should do about the holidays.  I will be going home for 4 days, 3 of which are usually training days.  The weather will probably be in the low to mid 30s there.  Unless Santa brings me running tights, I don't really have the gear to run in that kind of weather, and I'm pretty sure that my family would think I was insane.  Here's to hoping that I can con someone into letting me guest pass at the Y there at least a couple of times and that the schedules have some room for even a couple of half hour runs...we'll see. The good news is that I have scheduled that time as a reduced mileage week anyway.  Rumor has it that one needs to do that now and again to prevent injury, facilitate growth and all of that good stuff. 

Today's run was...blah.  The times weren't bad, but they weren't great relative to yesterday's run of awesomeness.  There always seems to be a bit of a let down when I have a series of awesome runs followed by a more normal run.  I try to remind myself that it's about the long term patterns, not just a single run or two that defines ultimate success or failure. 

Hopefully a mid-distance run tomorrow will feel good, and if I can hit my goal paces for the rest of the week, I will be pleased.  Some day (when I have money and the student loan people don't own my soul), I will probably take the effort to invest in some training by a real professional.  I have a lot of ambition, and a desire to get better, but don't really know how to successfully push myself into faster running without a)not trying hard enough and not achieving my potential or b)trying to hard, injuring myself, and making the entire experience unpleasant.

Here's to finding a groove and sticking to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment